Reading todays post-hook emails with the latest diffs of some project the thought rushed to my head that it would be nice to have the diffs displayed in color. Since I am using Thunderbird as my email client I found a great add-on named “Colored Diff”.
Although, the add-on seems to be outdated to work with the latest Thunderbird version (which is 10.0 right now) there is an easy way to install the add-on while the automatic installer refuses to do so. Here is what you can do to make the installation work.
- Download the colored diffs *.xpi file
- Open the archive with an archive manager of your choice
- Edit the contained install.rdf with a text editor of your choice
- Change the maxVersion parameter to be equal or greater then the current version of Thunderbird
- Save the changes and store them back into the archive
- Install the add-on
Do not forget to check out the preferences after you installed the add-on. You can choose 4 different types to display the diffs and customize the colors as well.
If you feel interested to enhance the add-on you can do so. The “Colored diffs” project is hosted on Google Code open for people to participate.